- •Predictors of lymphoedema risk included time since breast cancer surgery, level of lymph node dissection, number of lymph nodes dissected, radiotherapy, and postoperative BMI.
- •These results have potential value in guiding strategies for early monitoring of lymphoedema and patient education in clinical practice.
- •We constructed a risk factor nomogram, combining clinical and therapeutic characteristics, in this study. The model will be helpful for the identification and classification of BCRL in cancer patients.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Factors associated with lymphoedema in women with node-positive breast cancer treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy and axillary dissection.JAMA surg. 2019; 154: 800-809
- Association between precautionary behaviors and breast cancer–related lymphoedema in patients undergoing bilateral surgery.J. Clin. Oncol. 2017; 35: 3934
- Reliable prediction of postmastectomy lymphoedema:the risk assessment tool evaluating lymphoedema.Am. J. Surg. 2017; 213: 1125-1133https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2016.08.016
- Nomograms for predicting the risk of arm lymphoedema after axillary dissection in breast cancer.Ann. Surg Oncol. 2012; 19: 2580-2589
- The grading of lymphoedema in oncology clinical trials.Semin. Radiat. Oncol. 2003; 13: 214-225https://doi.org/10.1016/S1053-4296(03)00038-9
- Incidence of unilateral arm lymphoedema after breast cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet Oncol. 2013; 14: 500-515https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(13)70076-7
- Lymphoedema: pathogenesis and novel therapies.Annu. Rev. Med. 2018; 69: 263-276https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-med-060116-022900
- Cancer statistics for the year 2020: an overview.Int. J. Cancer. 2021; 149: 778-789https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.33588
- Incidence and time path of lymphoedema in sentinel node negative breast cancer patients: a systematic review.Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 2015; 96: 1131-1139https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2015.01.014
- eDoctor: machine learning and the future of medicine.J. Intern. Med. 2018; 284: 603-619https://doi.org/10.1111/joim.12822
- Assessment of mechanical properties of tissue in breast cancer-related lymphoedema using ultrasound elastography.IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectrics. 2018; 66: 541-550https://doi.org/10.1109/TUFFC.2018.2876056
- The diagnosis and treatment of peripheral lymphoedema: 2016 consensus document of the International Society of Lymphology.Lymphology. 2016; 49: 170-184
- Lymphoedema incidence after axillary lymph node dissection: quantifying the impact of radiation and the lymphatic microsurgical preventive healing approach.Ann. Plast. Surg. 2019; 82: S234-S241https://doi.org/10.1097/SAP.0000000000001864
- Arm morbidity after local therapy for young breast cancer patients.Ann. Surg Oncol. 2021; 28: 6071-6082https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-021-09947-3
- Development and validation of a nomogram to predict the risk of breast cancer-related lymphoedema among Chinese breast cancer survivors.Support. Care Cancer. 2021; 29: 5435-5445https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-021-06122-y
- Validation of a breast cancer nomogram to predict lymphedema in a Chinese population.J. Surg. Res. 2017; 210: 132-138https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2016.11.009
- Breast cancer–related lymphoedema: risk factors, screening, management, and the impact of locoregional treatment.J. Clin. Oncol. 2020; 38: 2341https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19.02896
- Transparent Reporting of a multivariable prediction model for Individual Prognosis or Diagnosis (TRIPOD): explanation and elaboration.Ann. Intern. Med. 2015; 162: W1-W73https://doi.org/10.7326/M14-0698
- Position Statement of the National Lymphoedema Network:lymphoedema Risk Reduction Practices.2011 ([cited 5 January 2021].Avaliable from:)
- Medical Statistics Method and its Implementation with SPSS Software.University of Science and Technology of China Press, Hefei2012: 373-377 (in Chinese)
- Risk factors and prediction model for persistent breast-cancer-related lymphoedema: a 5-year cohort study.Support. Care Cancer. 2019; 27: 991-1000https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-018-4388-6
- Prospective surveillance for breast cancer–related arm lymphedema: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J. Clin. Oncol. 2022; 40: 1009-1026https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.21.01681
- Lymphoedema after breast cancer treatment.N. Engl. J. Med. 2018; 379: 1937-1944https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMcp1803290
- Recent progress in the treatment and prevention of cancer-related lymphoedema.CA A Cancer J. Clin. 2015; 65: 55-81https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21253
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of the effects of exercise for those with cancer-related lymphoedema.Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 2016; 97: 302-315https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2015.09.012
- Developing and validating a prediction model for lymphoedema detection in breast cancer survivors.Eur. J. Oncol. Nurs. 2021; 54102023https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2021.102023
- Comparison of machine learning models for predicting the risk of breast cancer-related lymphedema in Chinese women.Asia Pac. J. Oncol. Nurs. 2022; 100101https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apjon.2022.100101
- Machine learning for treatment assignment: improving individualized risk attribution.AMIA Annu. Symp. Proc. 2015; (2015) (PMID: 26958271): 1306-1315
- Assessment of potential risk factors and skin ultrasound presentation associated with breast cancer-related lymphedema in long-term breast cancer survivors.Diagnostics. 2021; 11: 1303https://doi.org/10.3390/diagnostics11081303
- Risk factors of lymphoedema on affected side of upper limb after breast cancer surgery–report from a single center of China.Int. J. Clin. Exp. Med. 2017; 10: 1592-1601