- •Postoperative pneumonia is a common complication of esophagectomy.
- •This study examined the impact of physical activity on postoperative pneumonia.
- •Walking less than 1494 steps per day post-surgery was a predictor of pneumonia.
- •Promoting physical activity such as walking may prevent postoperative pneumonia.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Physical activity and lung function-Cause or consequence?.PLoS One. 2020; 15e0237769https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0237769
- Preoperative physiotherapy for the prevention of respiratory complications after upper abdominal surgery: pragmatic, double blinded, multicentre randomised controlled trial.Br. Med. J. 2018; 360: j5916https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.j5916
- Consequences of bed rest.Crit. Care Med. 2009; 37: S422-S428https://doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0b013e3181b6e30a
- Effects of regular physical activity on the immune system, vaccination and risk of community-acquired infectious disease in the general population: systematic review and meta-analysis.Sports Med. 2021; 51: 1673-1686https://doi.org/10.1007/s40279-021-01466-1
- Asian working group for sarcopenia: 2019 consensus update on sarcopenia diagnosis and treatment.J. Am. Med. Dir. Assoc. 2020; 21: 300-307.e2https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2019.12.012
- Classification of surgical complications: a new proposal with evaluation in a cohort of 6336 patients and results of a survey.Ann. Surg. 2004; 240: 205-213https://doi.org/10.1097/01.sla.0000133083.54934.ae
- Global, regional, and national cancer incidence, mortality, years of life lost, years lived with disability, and disability-adjusted life-years for 29 cancer groups, 1990 to 2017: a systematic analysis for the global burden of disease study.JAMA Oncol. 2019; 5: 1749-1768https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaoncol.2019.2996
- Evolution of esophagectomy for cancer over 30 Years: changes in presentation, management and outcomes.Ann. Surg Oncol. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-020-09200-3
- Usefulness of wearable fitness tracking devices in patients undergoing esophagectomy.Esophagus. 2022; 19: 260-268https://doi.org/10.1007/s10388-021-00893-3
- The relationship between physical activity and frailty among U.S. Older adults based on hourly accelerometry data.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2018; 73: 622-629https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/glx208
- Impact of reconstruction route on postoperative morbidity after esophagectomy: analysis of esophagectomies in the Japanese national clinical database.Ann Gastroenterol Surg. 2022; 6: 46-53https://doi.org/10.1002/ags3.12501
- Impact of preoperative 6-minute walk distance on long-term prognosis after esophagectomy in patients with esophageal cancer.Esophagus. 2022; 19: 95-104https://doi.org/10.1007/s10388-021-00871-9
- Recurrent laryngeal nerve paralysis after esophagectomy: respiratory complications and role of nerve reconstruction.Tohoku J. Exp. Med. 2015; 237: 1-8https://doi.org/10.1620/tjem.237.1
- Enhanced recovery after surgery: a review.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: 292-298https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2016.4952
- Fitbit step counts during inpatient recovery from cancer surgery as a predictor of readmission.Ann. Behav. Med. 2018; 52: 88-92https://doi.org/10.1093/abm/kax022
- Guidelines for perioperative care in esophagectomy: enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS®) society recommendations.World J. Surg. 2019; 43: 299-330https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-018-4786-4
- Strategies to reduce non-ventilator-associated hospital-acquired pneumonia: a systematic review.Infect. Dis. Health. 2019; 24: 229-239https://doi.org/10.1016/j.idh.2019.06.002
- How many steps per day are necessary to prevent postoperative complications following hepato-pancreato-biliary surgeries for malignancy?.Ann. Surg Oncol. 2020; 27: 1387-1397https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-020-08218-x
- Activity tracking after surgery: does it correlate with postoperative complications?.Am. Surg. 2022; 88: 226-232https://doi.org/10.1177/0003134820988818
- Spirometric lung age predicts postoperative pneumonia after esophagectomy.World J. Surg. 2016; 40: 2412-2418https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-016-3547-5
- Enhanced recovery after surgery protocol in oesophageal cancer surgery: systematic review and meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0174382https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0174382
- Impact of standardized clinical pathways on esophagectomy: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Dis. Esophagus. 2022; 35: doab027https://doi.org/10.1093/dote/doab027
- Non-ventilator health care-associated pneumonia (NV-HAP): best practices for prevention of NV-HAP.Am. J. Infect. Control. 2020; 48: A23-A27https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2020.03.006
- Cancer of the esophagus and esophagogastric junction: an eighth edition staging primer.J. Thorac. Oncol. 2017; 12: 36-42https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtho.2016.10.016
- Hand grip strength as a predictor of postoperative complications in esophageal cancer patients undergoing esophagectomy.Esophagus. 2018; 15: 10-18https://doi.org/10.1007/s10388-017-0587-3
- Ageing and free-living daily physical activity effects on salivary beta-defensin 2 secretion.J. Sports Sci. 2017; 35: 617-623https://doi.org/10.1080/02640414.2016.1182640
- Prevention of postoperative pneumonia by perioperative oral care in patients with esophageal cancer undergoing surgery: a multicenter retrospective study of 775 patients.Support. Care Cancer. 2020; 28: 4155-4162https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-019-05242-w
- The perioperative presepsin as an accurate diagnostic marker of postoperative infectious complications after esophagectomy: a prospective cohort study.Esophagus. 2020; 17: 399-407https://doi.org/10.1007/s10388-020-00736-7
- Influence of postoperative pneumonia on esophageal cancer survival and recurrence.Anticancer Res. 2019; 39: 2671-2678https://doi.org/10.21873/anticanres.13392
- Preoperative chemotherapy with weekly docetaxel plus low-dose cisplatin and 5-fluorouracil for stage II/III squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus.Esophagus. 2010; 7: 95-100https://doi.org/10.1007/s10388-010-0234-8